M Bob Moeller and Stephen Briggs on with Host Nancy Turner on This is the Day! Monday, March 28, 2011.
Marriage rates have been dropping in Europe at a dramatic rate.
· In some Scandinavian countries the marriage rate is now between 20% and 30%.
· England recently recorded their lowest marriage rates in the modern era.
· The same pattern of declining marriage is occurring in the United States as more couples are choosing to live together rather than marry.
· While divorce rates are dropping in Europe it is primarily due to fewer people getting married.
· There was a time when traditional marriage was the foundational step before engaging in sexual activity, conception pregnancy, childbearing, parenthood, and raising children.
· Now the reverse is happening in Europe and our nation following a pattern set in Europe:
a) The large scale introduction of contraceptives (such as the pill) in the 1950’s and 1960’s disconnected the link between conception and traditional marriage.
b) The introduction of free love in the 60’s disconnected sexual activity from traditional marriage.
c) The introduction of abortion on demand in the 1970’s disconnected the link between pregnancy and traditional marriage.
d) The introduction of no-fault divorce in the 1970’s and 1980’s and the resulting dramatic rise in single parent households disconnected the link between raising children and traditional marriage.
e) The introduction of artificial reproductive technology in the 1990’s disconnected the link between child-bearing and traditional marriage.
f) The introduction of living together and same sex partnerships in the 21st century is working to finally disconnect sexual activity, conception, pregnancy, childbearing, parenthood and raising children from traditional marriage – a possible precursor to the final end of marriage in the U.S. as our foundational social, legal and moral institution.
· What can Believers do to see this Trend Reversed?
a) Pray for God to send a Third Great Awakening to our Land (2 Chronicles 7:14)
b) Learn the foundational principles of marriage as taught in the Scripture which are:
Marriage is God’s gift and foundational design for the human race (Gen. 2:20-25)
Sexual activity is designed for the covenant of marriage (Exodus 20:14; Hebrews
Conception is designed for the covenant of marriage (Proverb 5: 15-23; Psalm
Pregnancy is designed for the covenant of marriage (Gen. 4:1; Matthew 1:19-21)
Child-bearing is designed for the covenant of marriage (Hebrews 12:8; John 8:40
Parenthood and raising children is designed for the covenant of marriage (Psalm
127:3-5; Colossians 3:18-21)
127:3-5; Colossians 3:18-21)
Ultimately, marriage is the image of Christ and the Church (Ephesians 5:21-33)
c) Be willing to speak up in defense of God’s design for marriage (John 14:3)
d) Let your marriage reflect Christ and the Church (Ephesians 5:21-33)
Bob Moeller on air
Stephen and Melissa