Christmas Cheery Cherry Muffins
Made in the crockpot for a Spongy goodness that my awesome husband and kids really love.
1 white dry regular boxed cake mix
2/3 cup olive or vegetable oil
3-4 egg whites, beaten
21 oz cherry pie filling (cherries and sauce), minus two ounces (dad's taste test ;)
2/3 cup chocolate chips
1 cup shredded coconut, tinted green*
1/3 cup white sugar
1 Tablespoons melted butter
1. Preheat crockpot on low.
2. Mix cake mix, oil, and beaten eggs.
3. Thoroughly mix in cherry pie filling by hand.
4. Add chocolate chips last.
5. Ice cream scoop batter into aluminum cupcake muffin papers.
6. Bake 1 hour on low in the crockpot.
7. Mix Topping ingredients and sprinkle on 1/2 baked muffins in crockpot.
Save remaining Topping for remaining uncooked muffins.
8. Bake for one more hour on low in crockpot.
*coconut, tinted green
Use a small container like a small yogurt container or resealable plastic bag. Add one or two drops of green food coloring BEFORE you add the coconut! Then add the cup of coconut, cover, and shake. If the coconut is not dark enough, go ahead and add a few more drops but try to put the drops on the side of the container and not directly on the coconut. Now cover and shake again.
Makes: 2 dozen delicious muffins
Each set of eight muffins takes about 2 hours on low. We store the uncooked cupcakes in the foils in the frig
on a plate until its time to make.
A cheery Christmas project to make with your children or grandchildren.
by Cheryl Moeller loves her crockpot
Author of Aunt Sarah's Alaskan Cookbook