Thursday, November 13, 2014

3rd Anniversary of the Homegoing of my Dad

 Rev. Roy Webster was a Tennessee boy but ministered from 1949-1996 in the Midwest.  

My dad went home to be with his Lord and Savior on a Sunday morning. He loved to go to church and Sunday, December 13, 2011, he walked into the presence of the Lord during the Sunday morning worship hour.

He told me when I was ten years old that he wanted to make it to 80 years of age and he passed away at 81 3/4 years. God blessed him with a long life. 

He loved football and senior year his team at Clinton High School, Clinton, TN were undefeated.He was a young soldier serving during the era of WWII because he joined the U.S. Army at 14 years of age in 1943. He rode on a bus from TN on an unpaved dirt road (common in 1943) all the way to TX. The army thought he was 18. He envied his older brothers serving our country and he decided to join them. He became a Sargent at 15.  He was found in 1944 at the age of 15 while standing in line to board a ship in CA headed to Japan.  A boat that did not return.  His family had been searching for him through the Red Cross.  He went back to play football for two years for Clinton High School.  He then served in the National Guard from 1947-1949 as he attended Eastern Tennessee University.  He was called to duty several times in the state of Tennessee for a prison riot and hostage situation and civil unrest in another major city.

While some in Hollywood boast of being married 61 days, my dad was married for 61 years mid-century (August 25, 1950) mid-America (to a Michigan girl), the love of his life Gladys Windquist, he met at Owosso Bible College in Owosso, Michigan.

                         Rev. Roy Webster in Pastor's Study, Warren Wesleyan Church

                                                       The Four Webster Daughters

Dad and Mom were married 61 years and here they are at their 25th wedding anniversary party at Flint First Wesleyan Church in Flint, Michigan

He never turned on a computer, but he had more friends than most of us will ever hope to have on Facebook. He never met a person that he did not like.

My dad really did love his mom (and dad), baseball (and football), and apple pie. Oh yes, and automobiles.

He loved wining the grandfather with the most grandchildren on Father’s Day for several years in a row.

And, then to know that he had 2 great-grandsons. (Now, he has 4 great-grandchildren.)

He spent the last decade of his life, calling and talking with members of his former churches that he was not sure of their salvation. He would present the Gospel and give them a chance once again to respond to the claims of Christ. And, he kept calling them until they trusted in Christ as their Lord and Savior. 

Raised in the hills of TN, he was blessed to minister in east Michigan where many southerners had come up to work in the hey day of the car industry. When he retired in 1996 from the pastorate, he wanted nothing more than to go back to his people in Tennessee. And, that is from where Sunday morning, November 13, 2014, he went to be with the Lord, among the twiggy dogwood trees, soft biscuits with sweet honey, good old southern gospel quartet singing, and his people. Now he is singing with his much loved family members and friends who went on before him.

1 comment:

william said...

thanks for sharing this.its very interesting and i learn a lot. keep posting more
We tried Real Thin Brick