Sunday, November 25, 2012

Desirous and Desperate for the Christ Child's Glory (A Christmas Devotional)

by Bob and Cheryl Moeller

We'll never forget when an acquaintance proclaimed to us on December 11th of that year; she was going to bake large quantities of 12 unique types of cookies for their family Christmas celebration.

"I don't care what happens. I have to finish all my baking," she said.

And, we were thinking, "Why?"

To do this marathon over-achieving baking goal, she missed church for two Sundays, our church's Christmas concert, her children's performance in our Christmas program, and her children's Sunday school trip to sing Christmas carols at her mom's nursing home and the mall as an outreach.

Tragically, her mother who lived nearby in the nursing home, passed away early Christmas Eve day.

During the funeral eulogy the daughter delivered with sobs, she said "I never saw my mom once in the last two weeks because I was too busy shopping for cookie ingredients and baking for our Christmas celebration. Had I known my mom was going to pass away this week, I would have spent my time with her."

This December in our Christmas Celebration, let's not miss the important, the Glory, because of the mundane.

We are very grateful for God's glory as 2012 draws to a close. We echo the words of the Psalmist, "I will praise you, O Lord, with all my heart...I will sing your praise." Psalm 138

May we be desirous and desperate for the Christ Child's Glory this next month. Let's not trade the Glory of the Christ Child for a box of cookies. www.forkeepsministries.com

No comments: