Pumpkin Wild Rice Soup
This week two crockpots make one soup.
1. Crockpot #1 makes the wild rice for the soup. Wild rice needs to cook a long time, but also needs to have the water drained after cooking, before eating.
2. Crockpot #2 makes the pumpkin soup. Add cooked wild rice later.
3 oz. Wild Rice
5 cups Water
1. Pour water and wild rice into slow cooker; stir.
2. Cover slow cooker and cook for 6-8 hours on low.
3. After soup in crockpot #2 has cooked (and been pureed if you have used fresh pumpkin), drain water off wild rice and pour into other slow cooker.
Crockpot #2 Pumpkin Wild Rice Soup
1/2 cup celery, chopped
1/4 cup onion, chopped (optional) or some dried onion flakes
1 lb. fresh uncooked pumpkin meat or 1 – 16 oz. pumpkin, canned
4 cups chicken stock
1 bay leaf
2 tsps. parsley, chopped
1/2 tsp. salt, optional
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup whipping cream, not sweet
1. In a large slow cooker, place all ingredients.
2. Cook for about 6 hours on low with cover on.
3. Discard bay leaf. Cool slightly.
4. If you have used fresh pumpkin in a blender or food processor, process soup in batches until smooth.
5. Return pureed pumpkin soup to slow cooker and add 1/2 cup whipping cream (not sweet).
6. Heat up again for one hour in slow cooker.
7. Add drained wild rice from crockpot #1
8. To serve, sprinkle chopped parsley on each bowl.
For more of Cheryl's soup recipes click here
Click here to order Cheryl's Cookbook